Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules

Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart New TopicStart New Poll

Outboard Engine Maintenance.
bobkyle2
 Posted: Jul 26 2012, 04:53 AM
BAMF Co-Admin
Full Name: Kyle's my name bish
5751 Posts
Joined 17-May 11
Rep: 141 pts
Awards: 6

Well i'm going to start putting together some outboard engine maintenance schedules. Not everyone will feel the same about somethings. On a 2 stroke engine to make one last with todays fuels i believe you need to watch them closely.

Primer bulb and fuel line - I replace twice a year. Lately it seems to be once a year if they are out in the weather non stop. If you see any cracking you probably need to replace it.
------

Water pump They recommend every 200 hours in clean water. If you are fishing how many times have to ran into mud/sand/crap. That kills the rubber impellers. Its 100 hours for trashy or salt water.

Who has a hour gauge? Not me.... Every new outboard engine i get i change the WHOLE kit the first go around. And then next year i just change the impeller. Its not that big of a deal to change. If you are going to own a boat you should know how to change it. Its a cake job.

Once a year for hardcore boaters. Twice a year if you are a goon boater. If you havn't got a water psi gauge i'd get one. They are the berries. If you notice a weak stream or low psi and its fully warmed up. You had better park it and look into the issue. Over heating problems are one of the main causes for outboard engine failures and you can stay away from that for a few dollars. And a little know how.
----

Out of water running

Another big issue on outboard Engines is running them on the hose. Be sure to have adequate water pressure. Use the shortest water hose you have, and turn it on full blast. Its best to get it in a tub of water or in a body of water.

If using ears be sure its sealed up correctly.

The newer mercs have a hose rigging kit built in. (My 2000 merc 150 does) And it seems to work really well.

DO NOT RUN WITH NO WATER... Not only does water cool the engine but it also acts as lubrication for the impeller.
----

Lower Unit Grease, Prop and Propshaft Maintenance

Before freezing weather each year you should change your lower unit grease. It is also a good time to pull your prop and check for fishing line that can tear into your shaft seals. Grease the shaft before replacing your prop (especially in saltwater applications). Do not loose the fill and full plug gaskets.I change these ever 2 years.Or immediatly if i see water. If your lower unit grease has ANY water in it or comes out looking like coffee double cream,you have a problem somewhere that needs to be corrected. Water in your lower unit will lead to freeze damage and will lead to excessive wear and gear failure.
----
Props

If you have one slightly bent or nicked....get it fixed. Just imagine putting a 1/2 ounce weight on one blade of a ceiling fan and then turning the fan on High. It won't take long for the out-of-balance condition to tear the fan apart. It also won't take long for that out-of-balance prop to cause serious if not catastrophic consequences to your motor.

This post has been edited by bobkyle2: Jul 26 2012, 04:57 AM

PM
bobkyle2
 Posted: Jul 26 2012, 05:27 AM
BAMF Co-Admin
5751 Posts
Joined 17-May 11

I will be adding tons more and editing more later.

PM
Jay
 Posted: Jul 26 2012, 10:24 AM
Co-Admin
Full Name: N/A
4131 Posts
Joined 30-April 11
Rep: 151 pts
Awards: 9

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd448/NorthportTroller/Smileys%204/congrats.gif

user posted image
PM
NorthportTroller
 Posted: Jul 27 2012, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Full Name: Paw-Paw
16529 Posts
Joined 29-April 11
Rep: 156 pts

I pulled my plugs and took pics of therm and a few other things BK. I'll post them later. smile.gif

user posted image
PM
NorthportTroller
 Posted: Jul 28 2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator
16529 Posts
Joined 29-April 11

Top Cylinder

user posted image

Middle Cylinder

user posted image

Bottom Cylinder

user posted image

Specs

user posted image

Carbs Top To Bottom

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Fuel Pump

user posted image

Oil Injection Pump

user posted image

Fuel Filter

user posted image

Top Carb

user posted image

Starter Soleniod

user posted image

free image hosting

user posted image
PM
bobkyle2
 Posted: Jul 28 2012, 10:48 AM
BAMF Co-Admin
5751 Posts
Joined 17-May 11

I can't beleive how those plugs are burning. They are border line lean.

I will be sea foaming and fogging my engine today. I have a carb giving me fits, i believe.

PM
NorthportTroller
 Posted: Jul 28 2012, 10:52 AM
Administrator
16529 Posts
Joined 29-April 11

QUOTE (bobkyle2 @ Jul 28 2012, 11:48 AM)
I can't beleive how those plugs are burning. They are border line lean.

I will be sea foaming and fogging my engine today. I have a carb giving me fits, i believe.

Huh? http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd448/NorthportTroller/Smileys%204/wtf.gif I thought they looked a little rich and oil fouled? Actually I thought the top and bottom plugs looked pretty damn good, nice dark brown. Center plug has buildup I thought was oil?

I thought you said white plugs are lean?

wtf...... http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx163/bobkyle2/dumb/picard.png

user posted image
PM
bobkyle2
 Posted: Jul 28 2012, 11:17 AM
BAMF Co-Admin
5751 Posts
Joined 17-May 11

Yes... Whitish..... I like DARK brown... From the pictures they are tanish... Still fine... Oil fouled will be black and dripping oil. They look good, I just like mine a bit darker.

PM
NorthportTroller
 Posted: Jul 28 2012, 11:27 AM
Administrator
16529 Posts
Joined 29-April 11

QUOTE (bobkyle2 @ Jul 28 2012, 12:17 PM)
Yes... Whitish..... I like DARK brown... From the pictures they are tanish... Still fine... Oil fouled will be black and dripping oil. They look good, I just like mine a bit darker.

Yeah. it's hard to get a good pic, but they are very dark brown and the middle one has a little buildup.

I always have a problem with my piss tube clogging up with a piece of leaf and stuff, you have that issue?

user posted image
PM
bobkyle2
 Posted: Jul 28 2012, 11:34 AM
BAMF Co-Admin
5751 Posts
Joined 17-May 11

No, Not with either of my engines, i've never had this problem. I know growing up we alaways had that issue. We always kept weedeater string to run up there.

Hey what oil do you use. I'm getting ready to start a thread. If you are going to be online, Be sure to comment. I'm tired of effing 40dollars a gallon oil http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicFast ReplyStart New TopicStart New Poll