Pacatfishhunter
 Posted: Jul 29 2012, 08:39 PM
N/ALURKERN/A
Full Name: N/A
46 Posts
Joined 12-February 12
Rep: 1 pts
Awards: None

I do almost all my catfishing on a main lake or river. I have done some tailwater fishing from a dam but really have not had a lot of luck doing it that way. Some days i'll catch some cats but most times I get nothing. I'd like to have a little bit more success. How much weight, what type of rigs works best and how would you fish it? I usually use 2 or 3 oz weight depending on the cfs. I done different rigs but I use a carolina rig most of the time with cut bait. I usually drop it right where the water is turning up the most. Sometimes I will move down the tailwater if I can but at times that is not an option. I went to Loyalhanna lake dam today and looked around. I will use what I saw today as a guide for what you guys would do. They had 3 of the 4 gates open. The cfs was 865. I will note that I usually will only fish there if cfs is a little lower but we can use what I saw today as the guide. Thanks for any help in advance.

user posted image
PM
Jay
 Posted: Jul 29 2012, 08:45 PM
Co-Admin
4131 Posts
Joined 30-April 11
Rep: 151 pts
Awards: 9

I don't fish the tailwaters much but when I do I shorten up my leaders to avoid getting hung up all the time. If you can keep your line from getting hung up it makes it more enjoyable. http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd448/NorthportTroller/Smileys/yes.gif

user posted image
PM
NorthportTroller
 Posted: Jul 29 2012, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Full Name: Paw-Paw
16529 Posts
Joined 29-April 11
Rep: 156 pts
Awards: 6

Yeah, they are really snaggy areas and very hard to predict. And you are in very different territory out west than here. We got hog flatheads chasing easy to catch bait into the fish passages, and some even making home in them. I would focus down stream just a little in some cut outs along the bank. I used to wades into those areas with my kids and catch very nice channel cat's on lures. http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd448/NorthportTroller/Smileys/yes.gif

If I had a jet boat I would also try anchoring up right in front of the slack water of the slow dumping damn and using kat bobbers.

This post has been edited by NorthportTroller: Jul 29 2012, 09:56 PM

user posted image
PM
Pacatfishhunter
 Posted: Jul 30 2012, 06:04 PM
N/ALURKERN/A
46 Posts
Joined 12-February 12
Rep: 1 pts
Awards: None

Thank you both

user posted image
PM
ShadowRider
 Posted: Aug 1 2012, 03:55 PM
N/ALURKERN/A
181 Posts
Joined 1-November 11
Rep: 18 pts
Awards: 2

Fishing below dams is always a hot or cold deal. No two days are the same. If you're fishing from the bank you can use a 3 way swivel with lighter line going to the sinker. We lose a lot of tackle below dams, they are snag infested areas. When water is being released I like to fish the current seam between the fast water and slack water.

user posted image

This post has been edited by ShadowRider: Aug 1 2012, 04:04 PM

PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicFast ReplyStart New TopicStart New Poll